Sunday, September 14, 2008

The second one

When somebody mentions great debates, I’m sure many things pop into a persons head. There’s the obvious ones such as creationism vs. evolution or pro-abortion vs. pro-choice or , for all those that really enjoy starting trouble, the battle of the sexes. These things have been discussed since either side was created. So what new debates are there? With the increase in social networking sites on the internet the cyber relationship vs. the in-person relationship debate has began. Both sides have advocates that proudly preach their side of the argument and both sides have very good points. So why do I bring all this up? Well to state my opinion of course. Which I’m sure all of you care about, why else would you be browsing my blog? (Besides the fact that part of this assignment is commenting on two of your classmate’s writings.)

I personally enjoy the in-person relationship over the cyber relationship. And I believe that the in-person one surpasses the cyber relationship for one reason. That reason is that in some point during a frequent cyber relationship both parties will want to meet in person. By doing this both parties are acknowledging that the cold aspect of cyber friendship is no longer good enough and that they need a personal touch for this relationship to go any further. This face-to-face meeting occurs at stage 7 of cyber relationships. What happens from there really depends whether or not the person can overcome their fantasy expectation of the other.

Even with most cyber relationships having to end in a face-to-face meeting, it still has a lot of good that comes from it. I find it easier to say more personal things over the internet rather than in person. That way I can rehearse what I want to say, revise it to make it better, and also, I don’t have to see the other persons face when they read it. Also using txt or aim gives me a way to keep in touch with my friends or to just tell them something real quick without having to have the obligatory conversation with them on the phone.

But reflectively looking on what I wrote and on the article we read for class, it really doesn’t matter which one is better. Both sides are here to stay and both have their benefits. Sometimes we want to see the person were talking to and other times you may just want to see the text popping up with that annoying AIM alert that comes with it. Whether or not there truly is a better one is really your opinion.

No comments: